I have been very quiet on the interwebs for the last few months, with good reason. I've moved! Not just city, not just country, but CONTINENT!
Why the move? To be closer to my family in Boston. However, we have settled in Providence, Rhode Island. Where's that you say? Here's something to help you out just in case you're not familiar with this part of the world – that is, the North East USA...
I can hear your next question. Why Providence? Well, it's a bit of a slower pace than Boston, and there's a lot of support for the arts here (Providence is nicknamed "The Creative Capital") ... plus overall we just felt that it suited us, and so far we are really happy with our decision. And it's only 40 minutes from Boston!
My studio is still a work in progress for sure, but I'm still working busily on another book. More on that when I can... Until then, how about
5 facts about Providence:
1. The city was founded by Roger Williams, an exile from English Settlers, who named it in honour of "God's merciful Providence" which he believed was responsible for revealing such a haven for he and his followers to settle (and we feel somewhat the same way!)
2. The city's motto is "What Cheer?" - which is how Roger Williams was greeted by the Narragansett native indians.
3. Jewelry and silverware used to be the primary industries in Rhode Island, and Providence is still the largest manufacturer of silverware in the world.
4. Providence is the home to the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD or "Riz-dee") - one of the best art colleges in the US.
5. H.P. Lovecraft was from Providence (and now lies in the cemetery just down the road!)
5 things I am loving about Providence:
1. We're living in a fun area with restaurants, parks, farmers markets all within walking distance.
2. Everyone we have met here has been LOVELY.
3. Providence seems very gay-friendly.
4. There seems to be an emerging music scene and the arts scene is definitely burgeoning, helped by such things as the Hope Artiste Village.
5. Dirty Mint ice cream from Three Sisters Cafe - YUM.
Thanks for reading - more as it happens!